Reddit quickmeme ban and the facts
We at Quickmeme have faced a troubling situation over the past 48 hours. As of Saturday night, Quickmeme.com was suspended from the Reddit.com website, for alleged vote manipulation. This action resulted from a complaint submitted to the Reddit team before Quickmeme had the opportunity to investigate the situation and tell our side of the story. Quickmeme did not use, and would have no reason to use, “vote bots” on the Reddit site as alleged. While quickmeme did have affiliation with mods of AA. It was not used to benefit quickmeme, but to help with the quality of the community; in fact to help against malicious voting within reddit’s AdviceAnimals, which was also reported to the Admins several times from the discoveries we had made. Further more, Quickmeme hasn’t been listed or promoted on the AdviceAnimals sidebar for a long time.
After looking into this further, here is what we know and what we believe has happened:
- Quickmeme has more than half a million registered users in conjunction with Reddit’s AdviceAnimals and has always been a favorite site of Reddit users (at least the ones that love memes).
- There have been malicious attacks and voting done to Quickmeme’s site and on Reddit over the past few months. In the past few days, those attacks have intensified and caused significant harm to Quickmeme.
- We believe that some third party has used the Reddit Enhancement Suite (RES) browser extension to make those attacks against Quickmeme.
- The first attack was changing the link for “submit to Reddit links” on the Reddit site from Quickmeme to “resme.me”. This resulted in a transfer of the links submitted by our users. A percentage of that web traffic was then diverted to livememe.com.
- The second attack occurred a few days later. Someone used the Reddit Enhancement Suite to change all of the “Click here to submit to Reddit” buttons on quickmeme.com's site (which would normally then bring up the submit page to AdviceAnimals and have qkme.me/(memelink) as the link url) to resme.me/(memelink) urls. In other words, all submissions to Reddit using the quickmeme.com were being wrongfully credited to resme.me. Even worse, a portion of the links submitted to the Reddit site were redirecting to the livememe.com site instead of quickmeme.com.
- The third attack was also made using the Reddit Enhancement Suite. Quickmeme’s “make a caption button” urls were redirected to our registration page, thereby disrupting our “captioner” function for users of RES and tampering with the number of Quickmeme posts on Reddit’s AdviceAnimals (AA). Also, all appropriation for Quickmeme links on the Reddit were changed to resme.me via Reddit Enhancement Suite. For a time, a “make your own caption” button was misdirecting and mistakenly crediting traffic to livememe.com even though the images linked were taken from, and generated by, the Quickmeme site.
At this point we should note that the Reddit Enhancement Suite has millions of users of its browser extension. Whatever third party is taking these actions is using the Reddit Enhancement Suite to control the user’s browser and misdirect and misappropriate web traffic and submissions from users.
Quickmeme has noticed several voting irregularities in the past few months. We have also noticed that a few specific users of AA were attempting to smear Quickmeme’s name and spread false information. We have been in contact with certain moderators of AdviceAnimals and continue to work with them to figure out exactly what has happened and how this was possible. We also have been in active contact with the operators of the Reddit Enhancement Suite to resolve these problems.
We know that a third party has been actively and maliciously trying to damage Quickmeme’s brand and business using several methods including the Reddit Enchantment Suite. We also know that similar efforts have been made to misappropriate and misdirect traffic from Quickmeme to livememe.com via resme.me which both reside on the same subnet at the same provider. Reddit users and their actions and submissions are being defrauded and manipulated using the Reddit Enhancement Suite and its browser extension. How and why this relates to livememe.com we are not sure but we are continuing to investigate.
We really value all of you and hope for your continued support.
Stephen, Wayne and the team behind Quickmeme.